Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: My Altec A7 speaker project

  1. #1
    Inactive Member soundbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2007
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here are the A7 speakers I put together. I put a lot of work into them! It was a fun project. I decided to have someone sell them for me on eBay.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180103943052

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member drummerwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Very Nice !

  3. #3
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Very nice work there Soundbound!

    Hope you do better then what the norm is with these.
    One thing I have been noticing is we can sure build a better mouse trap but we don't appear to be able to sell them for even half of what an older/lesser one goes for.
    I am just a watcher but wish you well in your auction. Right now it looks like you have the cost of the woofers and a bare horn covered, hope it happens for you.
    Saddly, I think if you made a 5.1 system that would fit into a shoe box you might have a better
    return on your efforts.
    We all love to believe there is some sort of market for the big and great speakers of the past but reality says very different.

    If I have one thing to offer to those reading these threads it would be DIFY or do it for yourself because very few will pay the price to make it worth doing.

    Gary

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by gamalot:

    .
    .
    I am just a watcher but wish you well in your auction. Right now it looks like you have the cost of the woofers and a bare horn covered, hope it happens for you.
    Saddly, I think if you made a 5.1 system that would fit into a shoe box you might have a better
    return on your efforts.
    We all love to believe there is some sort of market for the big and great speakers of the past but reality says very different.

    If I have one thing to offer to those reading these threads it would be DIFY or do it for yourself because very few will pay the price to make it worth doing.

    Gary
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not only paying the price, but the floor space necessary to put these things. The A7s were built in the days prior to the computer, which meant huge cabinets. When I built the box to house my 2 Altec 414s, 806/811, & EV T350, wife with the "roll of the eyes," say "ooo kkkk aaa yyy."

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member dhook17322's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    176
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Real shame you have to sell them, they are nicely done.
    I have a pair of A7's in my living room and have been spoiled by them. Friend bought a surround sound system to go with a large projection TV. The system is supposed to be 900 watts. I was totally disappointed with the sound, a very tiny shallow sound.
    I run my A7's with an old Marrantz with 10w/channel, and it will rattle the windows and give you the front row effect to some extent. The presence of this system shocks people that have never heard an old school system.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    The N1285-8B is different than other types of XO.
    Most XO are designed with load resistors. This one was developed primarly using loudspeaker as loads.
    Thus Xo frequency,power handling and frequency respone are very predictable in real life loudspeaker applications.

    The Mid range attenuator can be By passed.

    This is a top notch passive crossover.

    forums

    ...........

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.